Thursday, August 06, 2020

The kit with no instructions

I'm not actually sure when I was given this slipper chair kit by Adelaide Cann of Adelaide's Miniatures, but I suspect it was probably over five years ago at the surprise birthday workshop she threw at Div's.
Aerial view of a 1/12 scale miniature cardboard chair kit, spread out to look like a game of Tetris.
It's been sitting in stash ever since, and one of its biggest issues is a lack of instructions. (If I'd been given any verbal guidance at the time I've long forgotten it).

But in my constant effort to sort out the studio I'd stumble across this op-shopped treasure, which suggested it might work rather well with the parking sign I bought on my last trip to New Zealand (Oh, in those halcyon days just before travel restrictions came into place!)
Package of rolled fabric pieces with coordinating felt pieces and buttons. On the pack is a price tag that says 'Vinnies $4'
And I decided that it was worth giving it a crack as the potential negatives were so low (financially at least) and the positives so high (a new scene!)

I thought I started well, although commented on Instagram that I was at this stage where I don't know if this is going to be brilliant or a complete disaster...1/12 scale cardboard chair kit with fabric attached and a glue bottle weighing it down while drying.
Turns out, after further gluing today, that I'm lurching dangerously close to a disaster.1/12 scale cardboard chair with fabric glued in. It is obvious that the fabric won't cover the sides of the chair adequately.
So I've abandoned things for now to let my poor (overloaded by work) brain time to come up with a brilliant solution that works within the small amount of fabric I have.

In the meantime, I'd decided that this piece required a scene. Which required a keyboard.

Which I only have one of, in the wrong colours (and in the wrong operating system).

A quick text to my local miniature shop indicated that such a thing would be some weeks away, so I went with option B: printing one myself.
1/12 scale miniature computer keyboard held between a thumb and a finger.
It may not be perfect but I think it'll work for now...

1 comment :

Sheila said...

Good luck with the chair! I'm sure it will come together.

I like the keyboard!