Saturday, August 18, 2018

Just playing

Life continues to keep me out of my studio (except for when I'm packing it into boxes ready for my move).
One-twelfth scale dolls' house doll behind a table with a stack of butchers paper on it and a plate on top, Behind her is a trolley containing various items including a teddy bear, a pile of books, candlesticks and cushions.
But that doesn't mean there are no miniatures in it (my life, not the studio). Here's what I've been up to...

First up, I attended the opening of this year's ANCA Pin exhibition, Pin 8.
A group of people waiting outside a gallery in the dark. On the gallery door is a sign that reads 'closed'.
This annual exhibition is locked into my calendar as a great place to see (and sometimes buy) miniature art.
Three people look at pins arranged on a piece of netting.
This year's budget allowed me to buy this piece by Jen Fullerton (Brown Paper Cowgirl on Instagram):


A brooch with geometric shapes in shades of copper, gold, bronze and black displayed on an orange netting ribbon.
Then I returned to miniature club, after a break of around 15 years.
Flat lay of green paint, brushes, miniature platers and skewers against a black plastic background.
We made topiary to go in front of a group project of a house made of room boxes made by club members
Six one-twelfth scale topiaries skewred to a piece of styrofoam next to four planters filled with miniature soil.
 to be displayed at a local railway and model show.
Six one-twelfth scale topiaries in planters lined up on a table. In the background is a woman reading a magazine and two women with their backs turned to the camera working on something.
 More recently, I went to the opening of an exhibition at M16 Artspace of work by Clare Martin (an artist I'm familiar with) and Mike O'Kane (a new-to me artist).

I loved Clare's work Dream Home:
One-twelfth scale window in a platered wall, with a gauze curtain billowing from it.
 (perhaps because it was in 1/12th scale, and beautifully executed)
One-twelfth scale miniature room with a worktable in the foreground containing miniature metal model buildings, and a selection of tools.
One-twelfth scale stone building on display in a gallery. In the background three woman look at pictures on the wall of the gallery.
One-twelfth scale model of a two-story building on display in a gallery.
Two one-twelfth scale water tanks and a metal bucket in front of a stone wall.
One-twelfth scale model of a two-story building on display in a gallery with teo people in discussion behind it.
and was struck by Mike's works, which seamlessly photoshopped models into full-sized scenes.

Enough that I bought this work, White Fella, for my new home:
Model toy soldier riding a motorbike down a dirt road in an Australian bush setting.

5 comments :

elizabeth s said...

It apears that you had an enjoyable time at the ANCA Pin exhibition and your art purchases are unique and definitely converstion pieces

otterine said...

Wow - that art is marvelous! I love the topiary pots all in a row. :D

Jim Bean said...

Fun fact - my wife's and my own "white fella" Uncle's either died or were taken captive fighting the Nazis. I wonder what you "white gal" kin were doing? No doubt handing out white feathers to "white fellas" who could then go and die fighting for your freedom to slander them.

AMCSviatko said...

Hi Jim

Interesting you should think that, based only (I assume) on reading my blog.

I'm intrigued to know what made you come to that conclusion...

Cerry said...

Just wow! nothing to say, This is wonderful work of art