I received this email a couple of days ago:
"I currently have an opportunity to move to Canberra as a student. However, given all the negative reviews about Canberra as a "boring" city, I am really contemplating about the move. I chanced upon your blog awhile ago, and am quite curious to know more about the city through your perspective."
(I've decided the "your" should be read as a collective one)
Here's my list off the top of my head (and in no particular order):
* Festivals. From September to April* there always seems to be something happening in Canberra. Sometimes too much "something" and I end up feeling overwhelmed and just stay home.
* Music. (See also Festivals) Lots of acts stop off in Canberra between Sydney and Melbourne so we get to see them in a more intimate venue.
* Restaurants. We have more restaurants and cafes per head of population because of the politicians and business people who use them. So generally there's no need to book. And parking is usually pretty close by.
* Entertainment: National institutions, local art centres and galleries, theatre, dance, live music, markets, movies and Festivals (see above)
* Getting away. The coast is a couple of hours in one direction. The snow a couple of hours in the other direction. If you're into bushwalking and stuff, there are heaps of options very close by. Sydney is $15 away on a pre-booked Murrays bus ticket. And the rest of the country is fairly cheap to fly to (see Restaurants above regarding politicians and business people causing a glut)
What should I add to the list?
(*Should that be August with The Fireside Festival?)