I was feeling pretty confident this morning, and decided that it would be a great idea if I did another dry fit of my HBS Creatin Contest build to see where things were at, as I've spent the past couple of weeks doing a lot of painting and not much else.
This time round, I fitted some of the roof pieces in place and realised not fitting them in the first mock up was a major mistake.
Because there's a beam across the back that I didn't factor in to my measurements, so I'll need to cut down the back wall to fit.
It's like the build is taunting me.
I started at the bundles of wood pieces that I haven't placed yet, trying to figure out where they were supposed to go, and then decided I probably didn't need them anyway.
Feeling disheatened, I thought that taping the cladding on and doing a dry install of the windows would help cheer me up.
Except that the cladding kept falling off...
the french door frames fell apart as I was carrying them to the table...
and when I tried to install them...
(did I mention that the cladding kept falling off? Which was just as well as the doors didn't seem to want to fit into the holes I'd cut in the cladding.)
And when I fitted the back windows I discovered that the thickness of the weatherboard cladding and the wall made it so the windows were set in rather than flush.
Another headache to add to the list.
And, of course, the centre wall is now completely the wrong shape to fit.
The final straw was the fact that, although I'd been working almost daily on the build for weeks, it really doesn't look like I've achieved anything. And anything I have achieved looks like it'll have to be redone anyway.
So I decided to step away from the whole thing and go for a walk to the post office. During which time I thought deeply about just giving up on the whole build, having a rest from minis for a week or two, and then going back to the part of the hobby I enjoyed, chalking the whole build up as a learning experience.
And there, waiting for me at the post office, was an unexpected delivery: