When I visited James at Victorian Dollhouses last weekend to buy some tile sheet to complete the build for the Goulburn Regional Art Gallery exhibition, I mentioned that my next step was to get the front windows cut at my favourite perspex place. His wife, Ann, said that if I popped down this weekend she could do it for me.
Who was I to resist such an invitation?As I put the pieces of the kit together so she could see what I was working on, I had a bit of a whoopsie:
At which point Ann introduced me to a miracle glue, Hafixs professional glue (see a video demonstration), which had my beam back together in seconds.
We then got down to the nitty gritty of working out exactly what I wanted, and as Ann realised I had no idea what I was doing, she drew me a diagram of how to design a window to support the perspex.
And suggested I should build the front first and then she could cut the perspex to fit my windows, rather than my original plan which was to cut the perspex then build the front around it.After some more discussion we decided that the safest approach would be to cut a piece of perspex to cover the entire front, then build the walls and window frames onto it.
She introduced me to her Olfa p-cutter, which cuts perspex quickly and cleanly.
And, before too long, she had measured.
a piece of perspex that fitted the front perfectly.
For me, it was another moment of 'Gosh, things are easy when you know what you're doing'.