Tuesday, February 04, 2020

Fourteen: reasons to not have been blogging

Oh good grief, it's blogiversary time again. How did that happen so fast?

I had all the good intentions in the world to continue with the blogging habit I'd restarted with Daily Dolls' House December 2019, but it would seem that life had a different plan.

Here's what's happened since I last blogged...

1. Workwise, we've been mogged (and no this does not mean we've all been given cats, nice as that would be) which has meant much uncertainty as two government departments become one.

2. It's been crazy hot While my new* place usually copes much better than my old one, when it's over 40 °C (104 °F) , even the 'cool' breeze I get is not really cool at all.

3.There's the bushfires in the ACT and the surrounding regions, which haven't (yet) affected me directly, but the smoke and uncertainty most certainly have.
Maquette of the Angel of the North sculpture against a smokey Lake Burley Griffin.
4. I bought a new bookshelf for my studio, second hand.

5. And a desk (new, but deeply discounted).Both of which meant moving stuff out of the studio, and them back in again...
IKEA white bookshelf and desk.
6. Then there was The Hail Storm.
Hillside covered in hail stones, with stairs leading upwards. At the top of the stairs stands a man.
Close up of a car windscreen covered in cracks.
7. Which killed Miss Daisy.
White car with black daisies on it being mounted onto a tow truck.
8. Who, because of the massive number of claims, sat in the car park opposite work for quite some time. Without a back window. And perfectly positioned for me to check her wellbeing several times a day from our work kitchen.
Car with a smashed back window.
9. In the meantime, I bought a scooter.
Black Vespa scooter in front of a white car with black daisies on it.
10. My first in 14 years.

11. So I needed to relearn how to ride.

12. Several months ago I'd noticed my shower was leaking through the wall, so I'd booked my fix-it man in to sort it out, and his first available spot was February.

13. This means that, over the past week, on top of everything else,my ensuite has been pulled apart.
Wall with render and brick showing on it.
14. And is being slowly put back together.
Shower wall with tiles pulled off and render, both old and new, showing.
Shower floor with new small square white tiles and walls covered with blue waterproofing membrane.
 So there you are:14 reasons I've not been blogging.

*And I'l leave you with a question:
At what stage does my now 18-month old flat become not 'new'? Is it like relationships, where it apparently takes one year to get over every five?

4 comments :

Jodi Hippler said...

You most certainly get a "pass" with all the excitement and challenge of the past month, but it is really nice to come on and see a post from you again! :O)
Hope the rest of February is a lot more relaxing!

minwks said...

Hi You, Well firstly hope that all is relatively well in your area of the country now.... still problematic I realize. My sister in Qld measured 43 mm rain today She had sent me a pic of the land and it was bare, they have had to send the horses out to friends who still had feed.
I like your new desk - such a lot of surface to fill with mini projects. It sounds like 14 very good excuses not to blog but I do not know how you manage to do anything when it is really hot.
All well here in BC Canada but wet and even wetter - hardly see any sun these days.
Regards Janine

Rebecca said...

Oh, poor Miss Daisy! I hope she recovers. Canberra, while not being as awful as many places, has certainly had a rough go this summer.

otterine said...

Oh, my!! :[ That's a whole lot of crazy. Wishing you better days ahead.