Friday, November 12, 2010

Here's a first...

No, not having an autographed copy of a Greg Johnson CD (although I didn't ask for it to be autographed so it was an unexpected surprise when the copy of his latest CD I ordered turned up today)
No, what's a first is being credited on a CD.

Have I got a secret side life as a musician or producer? No, afraid not.

So how did I manage to get a credit?

Greg's a very forward-thinking chap (as well as a brilliant musician) and decided to involve his fans in the making of his latest album. Earlier this year he sent us an email explaining how he was going to start working on his next release and inviting us to get involved. He figured we'd probably buy the album anyway, so why not get the cash off us at the beginning of the process and use it to support the production and marketing of the album?

There were several levels we could commit to (I almost typed "sponsor"). I can't remember the exact details but if you paid $30 you'd get your CD a week early when it was released. For $50 (the level I chose) you got the album early, an immediately downloadable exclusive acoustic album, access to a "behind the scenes" page and your name on the CD notes.

There were two more levels of support: the $300 included a meet and greet session and the $3000 option included a private Greg Johnson concert at your house in New Zealand. And, I dimly recall a T shirt that said something like "I gave Greg Johnson $3,000 and all I got was this lousy T shirt". Alas the official
Greg Johnson donkey wasn't included in this bundle or I might have been tempted...

2 comments :

Kerry said...

Wow - also interested to see my uncle's name in the top line there, if indeed it is him.

Being a fairly prosperous designer in the plastic bottle industry (turn over the NZ Anchor milk bottle and see his name written there)and an ex-muso himself (he used to play in a band with ex-Mocker Steve Thorpe, RIP), it seems likely he might throw a bit of money at this project. I must ask him!

AMCSviatko said...

I also read all the names in case I knew someone on the list but alas I didn't...