Sunday, November 06, 2016

Off the track and found some treasure

While I was buying my Russell Brown brooches from the Sarjeant Gallery gift shop, I mentioned that they were destined for my dolls' house (a little white lie, but easier than explaining miniature scenes to people, I find).

The women behind the the counter both said 'So you'll be visiting Tawhiti, then?' in such a way that they assumed that I knew all about it (whatever 'it' was) and would would most definitely have 'it' on our itinerary.

When it because clear that I was quite clueless, they assured me that we most simply MUST VISIT (especially as it was on the way to our next destination.)

And so it was (after a little googling that evening, back at the Airbnb place) that we decided it was worth a stop. And I found myself mystified as to how I had no idea of its existence, even after some major pre-trip research.

We arrived just before 11 am the following day, certain that we'd be done and dusted in an hour or so, and off to find lunch and continue our planned itinerary.

How. Wrong. We. Were.

Tawhiti Museum is amazing. And particularly amazing for a miniaturist.

After we bought our tickets, but before we went inside we decided morning tea was in order while we planned our time and decided what to see first., And it just so happened that there was an inviting-looking cafe right by the entrance.
Outside of Mr Badger's cafe at Tawhiti Museum.
 As we walked in the door I realised this was going to be a very special place indeed. See those frames on the side wall?
Inside of Mr Badger's cafe at Tawhiti Museum, with a wall of one-twelfth-scale miniature scenes set into the left wall.
They each held a one-twelfth scale scene from The Wind in the Willows.
View of the one-twelfth-scale miniature scenes set into the wall of Mr Badger's cafe at Tawhiti Museum..
(I have to admit that I've not read the book so can't identify the characters or which scenes from the book that they're in...)
Detail of one of the one-twelth-scale Wind in the Willows scenes at Mr Badger's cafe.
 But the scenes were exquisitely done, and a joy to explore even without knowing the story.
Detail of one of the one-twelfth-scale Wind in the Willows scenes at Mr Badger's cafe.
Detail of one of the one-twelfth-scale Wind in the Willows scenes at Mr Badger's cafe.
Detail of one of the one-twelfth-scale Wind in the Willows scenes at Mr Badger's cafe.
Detail of one of the one-twelfth-scale Wind in the Willows scenes at Mr Badger's cafe.
Detail of one of the one-twelfth-scale Wind in the Willows scenes at Mr Badger's cafe.
Feeling much refreshed, we decided that it was time to head inside the museum...

2 comments :

Tina said...

This is like reading a 'cliff-hanger'. But I'm enjoying your road trip adventures.

otterine said...

Oh, how marvelous! :D I love Wind in the Willows, and these scenes are perfection.