Monday, November 07, 2016

Tawhiti: Tangarakau township

The entrance building at Tawhiti Museum.
The first room in Tawhiti Museum made me stop to rummage in my bag for my cameras, as I knew I, based on what I saw in this room alone, that I'd be taking a lot of photos*. The room had an interesting mix of well-done full-scale models, like this chap:
Full-scale model of a wood cutter at Tawhiti Museum
and this coal miner:
Full-scale model of a coal miner at Tawhiti Museum
and miniature models, like this scene, set in the 1930s, of the Egmont Collieries train in front of the the buildings of Tangarakau township. 
Model of Tangarakau township circa 1930, with a coal train in front.
Model of Tangarakau township circa 1930, with a coal carts in front.
Model of Tangarakau township circa 1930, with a coal train in front.
 Also included were model bush scenes, including discarded train parts,
Model of parts of a coal train in the scrub of Tangarakau township
Model of parts of a coal train in the scrub of Tangarakau township
 a sawmill,
Model of a saw mill in the scrub of Tangarakau township, circa 1930
 and a scene of men loading the coal from the train into a waiting ship.
Model of loading coal onto a ship from a train, circa 1930
Model of loading coal onto a ship from a train, circa 1930
One of the things I loved most about these scenes was the realism of the New Zealand bush in them.

(*In fact, I stopped so often to take a photo that I ran out of time to visit a whole section of displays...)

3 comments :

Tina said...

What scale are the miniature models?

shannonc60 said...

Loving these NZ posts Anna-Maria. And what a great discovery this museum is!

AMCSviatko said...

Hi Tina: Thanks for asking: the township diorama is 1/32 scale. I don't remember the scales of the other bush dioramas (and alas was too excited to note it down).

shannonc60: Thank you! I agree and am feeling the need for a return trip (possibly over several days) to see the bits I missed and properly read all the information on the exhibits. There's so much I want to learn (which means that the owner has done a great job!)