Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Hump day and heading for the holiday house

Much more manageable temperatures today saw me return to the studio, intent on finishing the Seaside Shack lounge build so I can put the pieces away and move onto the next thing on the list.

In my warm-up studio clean-up for the day, I came across this:
Miniature cross stitch picture of a light house, in the middle of a set of embroidery hoops, next to two skeins of embriodery thread and a pile of cross-stitch fabric.
which has to be almost 20 years old, as a) I don't recall doing any cross stitch since I moved to Canberra in 1999 and b) it's not my style at all. (It also makes me suspect that it has indeed been that long since I built any frames...)

Luckily, it fitted perfectly into the feel of the Seaside Shack lounge build, and I had framing on hand.

But I was impatient to get the build finished and so resorted to some help getting the paint dry.
Aerial view of a toilet with the lid down. On top of the lid is a hairdryer and a box lid containing an one-twelfth scale miniature wooden picture frame, painted blue.
 (I mean why else would a miniaturist have a hairdryer?)

Finally I was as done as I could be before I lost the light. And pretty happy with the final result.

Would you care to join me for a tour?
View through the door of a one-twelfth scale modern miniature house, into the lounge where you can see a grey velvet sofa underneath a window with a red and white net curtain at it. Behind the sofa is a wooden sideboard with a model sailboat on it. And above it is a corss stitch picture of a lighthouse.
You've seen the sofa and the sideboard before (except when I grabbed the sideboard the drawers had decided to go walkies so I used it the other way round rather than waste time trying to work out where they might be...)

The net curtain was from a hostess apron I picked up from an op shop trip years ago: I figured $2 was a small price to pay for one-of-a-kind net curtains that I might use one day. And the yacht was a Wendy Benson find.
One-twelfth scale modern miniature lounge with a gallery wall of heart pictures above a fireplace. In front of the fireplace is a grey velvet sectional sofa with a rustic wooden sideboard behind it holding a sailboat model and a lamp.
The lamp is also recycled (I decided it was a necessity for reading on the sofa at night). I used it here in its original colour scheme, but obviously used it again as it's since been painted it silver. No idea where, though... *shrug*

And the gallery wall is finished, with a few small changes from the mock-up.
One-twelfth scale modern miniature lounge with french doors out to a patio overlooking the beach.
Behind the sofa is a set of french doors leading out to a patio overlooking the beach, and space for quiet contemplation or playing. (Note the rugs tucked under the table for winter visitors to use...)
One-twelfth scale modern miniature lounge with a gallery wall of heart pictures above a fireplace. In front of the fireplace is a grey velvet sectional sofa with a rustic wooden sideboard behind it holding a sailboat model and a lamp.
 On the wall next to this are is a set of shelves holding various items to keep you entertained during your visit*.
One-twelfth scale modern miniature lounge cube bookcase with various games and puzzles on the shelves along with a stack of magazines and a pair of binoculars.
 But who needs any of that when the sofa looks so inviting?
Close-up of a one-twelfth scale modern miniature sectional sofa in grey velvet. On the sofa are three cushions in red and pale blue, a plate of cakes with a glass of water on it, and a book.
Time taken: Almost four years... (And it wasn't until I went downstairs once I'd finished photographing it that I realised that I'd not included the heart lightbox that I'd built especially!)

(*Nicked wholesale from Margell Public School's stash).

2 comments :

Sheila said...

I just want to sit on that couch and read. And snack. Yum.

Alexandra Martinez said...

I love it. It has a modern yet cosy atmosphere. I can smell the sea air from here :)