Friday, June 04, 2010

A little night cap

Friend Kerry recently lost her favorite hat and described it to me while I was in Melbourne, hoping I'd be able to recreate it for her.

It sounded a lot like a Jo Sharp pattern I had, so I dug it out yesterday before work. Checked my stash, which unearthed no suitable charcoal coloured wool.

At the bus stop I bumped into Olivia and randomly asked if Lincraft carried Jo Sharp wool (suspecting the answer was no but having to asking anyway.) She mentioned that she might have something that would do if I wanted to pop past after work.

Which I did. And she showed me some leftover Jo Sharp Aran Tweed in just the colour I was looking for. But we both doubted, at 63g it was enough for a pattern that stated that it required 2 x 50g balls of the stuff.

But I remembered Taph saying pattern companies write patterns to make us buy as much wool as possible from them and suspected that 63g might just be enough. Just to make sure I balanced it on my head to see if it felt like the weight of a hat:It did.

I got home, had dinner, created yesterday's What I wore today page and then had one of those moments and decided to cast on and see what it knitted like.

Three and a half hours later I had this:A 35g hat. And leftovers to return to Olivia.

5 comments :

m1k1 said...

Putting hats to one side, I love your wool stash cupboard, and the way it is just being an extra in your weigh-it-all-up pose.

Lynda said...

Do you mean to say that Lincraft carried Jo Sharp and now they DON'T?
That doesn't make sense to me. I love that tweed, I used some last year for a scarf...so soft :)At least they carry it in Manuka.

AMCSviatko said...

Not my wool stash cupboard but Olivia's just bought and not yet sorted out felting stash cupboard.

Lynda: As I very seldom buy wool from a retail store I have no idea what Lincraft stocks but suspected based on the range of bright ack I've seen there in the past as I've raced through, that Jo Sharp would not be on their list of "must stock" items...

The only Jo Sharp I've bought at all was second hand (50 cents for a ball here: http://theshoppingsherpa.blogspot.com/2008/11/shopping-sherpa-and-friends-n.html and about the same here: http://theshoppingsherpa.blogspot.com/2008/05/little-lunchtime-sex-did-me-world-of.html) so I suspect I'd be shocked to discover how much it is retail...

Olivia said...

Well colour me amazed, I'm impressed there was enough and certainly didn't expect leftovers! This is like a sneak preview of my felting stash cupboard, I'm sure it will get a full blog post from me some time soon. Not sure it will ever fit ALL the stash though.

Cherry ・ チェリー ・ 체리  said...

I love the hat! You're gifted.