Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A big bag

Starting school always means buying stationery. Which I love. On day one of my course I trotted to class with a small A4 sized pouch containing a tin of pencils and erasers, a visual diary, and my course book plus a roll of butchers' paper.

For class two I'd added a tackle box with extra supplies inside and an A2 pad of cartridge paper as the list of necessities grew. I'd worked out a system: messenger bag across my body (as always), A2 pad tucked under left arm, with pouch balanced on top and roll of butchers' paper balanced in hand. Right hand carrying tackle box and water bottle.

I left class three with a list of more things to get for class four. I could balance the extra things on my head. I could go buy an expensive ugly folder thingy from the art store. Or I could be a good little Design Fundamentals student and design myself a free solution.

I chose the latter option. Introducing my new art bag:Made of black drill from Stash Mountain. Originally I planned to have the outside pocket in a contrasting pattern (and maybe create a lining in the same fabric) but decided to keep with plain black as it would go with whatever I was wearing. It's designed to hold an A2 sized pad, which supplies the stiffness to keep the bag in shape.

The front pocket is the perfect size to hold an A4 visual diary, and is ideally positioned to be able to grab the diary at a moment's notice. With one hand, if necessary.
Inside, on the edge closest to the body, is a pair of elastic straps: one to hold that pesky roll of butchers' paper, the other for the 60cm steel ruler that's on my list and which hasn't arrived yet as a friend has offered me his for free. The straps are positioned so the paper and ruler stick up just behind the bag handles, out of harm's way.Finally, because I'm guessing the bag's going to get a lot of use, there's double and triple stitching galoreplus the whole thing's completely machine washable.

I'm feeling quite chuffed. Especially as I suspect my sewing mojo may just have returned after a prolonged absence...

6 comments :

m1k1 said...

Have you surreptitiously left cards on each student's desk, describing how each of them may buy just such a bag for themselves, for the bargain price of .... [insert details here] ?
Not to mention the teacher's desk.

AMCSviatko said...

I figured just swanning in with it would be a start. And you forgot that said bags are available in a range of vintage colours and patterns...

(Maybe I could make matching art smocks and include a pocket for that in the bag as well?)

Janet McKinney said...

Ohh why stop there

Knit a beret for everyone... Make a pouch for their artist brushes... even make some pippi long stockings in shades of black and white of course!)

twitchy fingers said...

I'd buy one and I'm not even a student! That rocks!

Taphophile said...

And plenty of room for your current knitting project?

Frank Sviatko said...

Aged parental unit suggests adding a pocket to keep a bottle of absinthe, sugar cubes and a drinking glass.