Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Frugal February: The zucchini report

Brunch: Frittata made with onion (I have a pile leftover from my apricot chutney making), grated zucchini, smoked salmon and feta cheese. I ate it all in one sitting because it was so delicious and washed it down with free organic Papua New Guinean coffee.

(It seems that this is common knowledge but I figure if I didn't know, you might not know: if you buy your smoked salmon in a 100g packet at the supermarket it will cost you $5.99. But buy the same amount from the deli counter and it comes to $3.69. I feel like such a doofus for not knowing that all these years!)

Evening (it was supposed to be dinner but I ended up at Tilley's): Aforementioned ratatouille made with the addition of eggplant and capsicum from the 99 cent table at the greengrocers in Dickson. Which is why it had to be cooked tonight. I stretched the recipe so am guessing here: 2 servings for lunch with Taph tomorrow plus 6 for the freezer (still waiting for it to cool down)


And I still have 1 3/4 large zucchini in the fridge. It would have been less but I forgot to load some off onto Cycling S when she dropped me off this evening...

Tomorrow looks like it'll be all about* Gazpacho as two of the zucchini turned out to be giant cucumbers and I've been given more tomatoes since last Friday.

(*Can I just say I really hate that phrase?)

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

ha - love zuchini time.

Tonight we had zucchine salad of grated dark zuchini, sliced and peeled baby pale zucchini and cubed roasted zucchini. With loads of salt, pepper, lemon and oil and flaked almonds - it was actually really yummy.

- But will I remember how I did it next year when we have zucchinis aplenty?

AMCSviatko said...

That's what blogs are for isn't it?

;-)