Saturday, February 26, 2011

Floored

Or should I say "flawed"?

Because although I discovered that thin felt makes it though the freezer paper and printer process perfectly, the end result is definitely not a permanent print. And I'm scared that if I try heat setting it with the iron like I do with normal fabric it'll just melt.

Not one to be stymied this early in the creative process, my next step is to find some wool felt and try again. The concept that I could be able to print a miniature rug of any pattern I want is just too alluring to give up this soon.

I also plan to do some experimenting with matte fixative. Or should that be "mat fixative"?

Watch this space...

5 comments :

Makeminemidcentury said...

That little house is just beautiful.

I wish I was about 3 inches tall.

Janet McKinney said...

Have you tried ironing it with a piece of brown paper, or similar between the iron and felt. Shouldn't melt - though it may fuse the fibres a little
Otherwise, how about printing on some thick interfacing - kinda fibrey like a mat, and firm

Beth Lemon said...

I have ironed felt before. Just place a thin cotton dishtowel over top of the felt or maybe even a piece of paper.

AMCSviatko said...

Thanks for the felt tips (ha ha). I think Addicted to Fabric might sell wool felt so I plan to head down there next week and see how that goes through the printer.

In the meantime I sprayed the rug with workable fixative and it seems fine now...

Mini Dork said...

I loved the tutorial, and I love your creative printing ideas. Can't wait to see more of your custom fabrics.