Thursday, March 19, 2015

A feeling of achievement

It was a bit scary yesterday afternoon as I taped up the windows of my storefront ready to... well, do something with it.

On one hand I was freaking out because I was worried that I would balls it up (but then I told myself it would all be part of the story and I could either fix it or put a rush order in for a replacement).

On the other I didn't quite know how to approach the finish on it. Coloured wax? (I was concerned the door handle wouldn't stick to it). The wood finishing cloths I bought for the TBAG box? (Too messy.) And then I spotted a tin of walnut-coloured varnish I've had for so long I have no idea where it came from.
Modern dolls' house miniature cafe under renovation, with builder's lunch on a stool outside the front door.
Now I have to decide if I like it with just one coat (for a more rustic look) or if I should dare to add a second and potentially regret the decision...
Dolls' house miniature builder's lunch on a cafe chair outside the front door of a cafe being renovated.
Meanwhile, I painted the first coats on my cafe chairs and stools (with similar trepidation). And am wondering if the copper was a bad idea. I'll reserve judgement (and a second coat of any of the colours) until the build is further progressed so I can see what works best.
Modern dolls' house miniature cafe under renovation, with tools on a ladder and a radio on the floor.
There's still a tonne of work to be done, so I'd better get back to it.

(Pity I don't have one of these to add to the scene...)

3 comments :

Kathy S. said...

Looks great! Like the blue radio and the sign as well.

Phyllis said...

Wow, it is coming along nicely. I love all of the little construction accessories.

Kristine PaperDollMiniatures said...

I'm really impressed the way the colours turned out on the chairs! I'm sure the second coat will be even nicer. It adds a lot of dimension with the gritty finish of the plastic.
I can't even begin to say how much I love this project. Even the sign in the shopfront is just too darn perfect! :)