Saturday, March 07, 2015

A mug's game...

This morning I unpacked this week's kit (and cut out the tea bag printies).
Modern dolls' house miniature tea bag box kit, laid out ready for assembly.
I was pleased to see that the kit included a couple of extra pieces in case of breakage (always a good thing, particularly as it usually guarantees no unexpected disasters!)
Components of a modern dolls' house miniature tea bag box kit, laid out ready for assembly.
Remembering the last kit of Adelaide's I put together reminded me of the most excellent woodstain pens she'd picked up from The Reject Shop. And since I wanted my 'TBAG box' to be brown, I headed out to track down my very own set.

With no luck. After four discount shops, one discount department store and two hardware stores, I finally found something much more expensive but which might just do (and, for miniature work, end up being a bargain if I just hack off very small pieces for each project: I'll get back to you on that...)
Wooden components of a modern dolls' house miniature tea bag box kit, laid out ready for staining next to a packet of wood finishing cloths.
Using one of the included gloves, I stained one side of the kit pieces.
Stained components of a modern dolls' house miniature tea bag box kit, with gloved hand holding a small piece of wood finishing cloth.
And, while waiting for them to dry, started work on part two of the project: a miniature version of the Trevor Dickinson Canberra bus shelter mug (Trevor had been kind enough to send me the artwork after I promised solemnly that I'd only ever make one of them in miniature).
Stained components of a modern dolls' house miniature tea bag box kit laid out to dry, with a bowl of water containing a miniature mug and a decal.
But I wasn't happy with the end result,
Modern dolls' house miniature mug with decal attached, in front of stained components of a  tea bag box laid out to dry.
and decided to 'dumb it down' and try again with a photographic print glued onto another mug (at which stage I discovered that my usual trick of running it through the Xyron and slapping it on did not work, and so resorted to Weldbond,)
Two modern dolls' house miniature mugs with a design of a Canberra bus shelter. On the left is the (clearer) photo version, clamped to dry. On the right is the (less clear) decal version.

5 comments :

Pepper said...

Never thought to use felt tip pens to colour. Hmm, it's cold today, perfect weather for the laser. Love that you made a mini of the cup design too =0)

Kikka N said...

Very clever way to fix the cups!

m1k1 said...

Should I try to remember (!) to bring some woodstain pens to cbr at the end of the month? (if I can find them) One of every colour, just in case?

m1k1 said...

Should I try to remember (!) to bring some woodstain pens to cbr at the end of the month? (if I can find them) One of every colour, just in case?

AMCSviatko said...

Only if they're spare, Jennifer... (And thank you!)