Thursday, October 15, 2009

Our creative space (because I just realised it's Thursday)

The only way I think I can deal with the photos from today is just put them in chronological order and add captions. Settle yourself in, as this'll be a long (and image heavy) post...

Nasty Collectors people lept on me first thing in the morning with the interview questions. So no photos of that and I really do wish I could have a do over. Never mind, I'm sure they'll make me sound coherent (and, hopefully, a little mad)

Then it was time to move onto the closeups. Here's Justin plotting how to approach my Reac chair display (while muttering how
Adrian would kill for them)and Greg shooting them:

Justin and Greg discuss a scene they've shot earlier (I think the conversation went something along the lines of "We could have her walk in this side, stop about here and say something. What do you think?"):Back in The Room of Temporary Non-Shame, Greg sets up the lighting for a scene we did shooting me through the window of the Triangand tests it out from my side of the shot:
Me, overact? NEVER!(But TV isn't as glamorous and exciting as you might think...)Greg shoots the other Triang as Justin and I act as stage hands, opening the fronts just so. Several times:




During the filming of The Mickey flat (one of my earliest miniature creations), Justin gets sidetracked, asking if I actually knitted thiswhich opens the way for me to show him some real miniature treasures: Over in the other corner of the room you might notice there's a party happening (and the puking man has moved houses)

At 2pm, while eveyone's concentrating on work I'm concentrating on the growling of my empty stomachand, since TV people appear not to need to eat, I grab my standard go to snack du jour: cold rice pudding eaten from the can (Because, you know, TV is so glamorous...)

While I'm munching the team works on. Greg tries to create a flickering TV effect upstairs as the party rages on below

(he's hoping to add me into the right hand side of this shot due to the magic of the blue screen*)
(Oddly, the team seem to be a little obsessed with shooting footage of rooms with TVs in them)

Finally, very late in the afternoon, they get to the Kaleidoscope House, which is lit up like a giant boiled sweet:Then, after Miss Daisy vomits her hidden contents onto my kitchen floor, we head up the road to the ABC studio. Miss Daisy seems to think that if she parks here she might become a TV Crew car. I didn't want to dash her hopes...Inside, the crew ponder how they're going to approach the challenge of getting me into my dolls housesbefore Justin and I check the authenticity of the ABC's reception's Swan chairs(Big thumbs up for the ABC then!)(Have I mentioned that working in TV is glamorous?)

By this stage of the day my brain is starting to hurt as I go through the "So I start with the chair pointing in this direction, say these works to the camera, smile (in a natural way) before swinging around to face that miniature TV screen that I can't actually see on the green cloth?"But, finally, around 5pm, we're done. It's a wrap (or whatever the official phrasing is...)Now I have to wait patiently to see the end result...

(*Which ended up being the green screen because I was wearing jeans and they didn't want me to to be legless)

14 comments :

Rebecca said...

Thank you! Good old rice pudding, a standby for any emergency ...
I'm glad to see Justin; he used to introduce the auctions, and sometimes visit museums, but he doesn't anymore. Adrian would have loved your collection, though!

m1k1 said...

Thank you for sharing the all the bits of this glorious day of fame.

Michelle said...

You got to meet Justin! Your post just made me very happy.

*annina* said...

this is so exciting - i can't wait to see the end result!

Sally said...

Oh my - what an interesting day you've had - thank you so much for sharing the behind the scenes. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the end result too!
Bravo to you!!!

Leslie said...

That's amazing. I love seeing the photos. Truly exciting.

Sarah said...

Congrats, TSS ... looks like a successful (if not exhausting!) day! Well done!

Janet McKinney said...

Wow - what a day. And all for a 3-minute segment on the best show on television - certainly on a Friday night anyhow.

I have no idea why they think you would be overacting! (much) And so pleased they liked your idea of entering the miniature scenes...

Pubdoll said...

Seems like an exhausting day indeed!
So exciting to see all the behind scenes, thank you for sharing!
Hope to see the end result as well!

Christopher W. Blackall said...

AM,

Well done: you're a hero(ine)! How exciting. When will it show on the ABC?

Chris

Kirsty said...

Fabulous post. I loved all the pics especially the ones with you in them acting all wall-flower-like. Please, please will you let us know when it's going to be on the Teev? I'd love to see it.

rooruu said...

Well done you - looking forward to seeing this. I guessed that three minute segments took A Lot Longer than three minutes (or even three hours) to film... thanks for documenting this interesting day.
.
my verification word is 'fedin' - as in rice pud?

Aussie-waffler said...

How cool, I loved following your day with your post. Oh yes, tv is tres glamorous.

Vic said...

Oh wow! I freaking adore your marvellous dolls' houses! And your post... and feeling like we've all been through a gruelling telly shoot lol...

Bravo!