Friday, January 12, 2024

Finish it off Friday (and Saturday, and possibly Sunday)

 The work week is over, as is my acting up, so on Monday I'll hopefully have a slightly less-crazy workload as my boss's boss returns to work so my boss can pick up her job again and I can return to mine (not that I'm complaining: it was a good challenge, and all went rather well. And I'm not going to turn my nose up starting the year with some extra money in my 'pay packet'!).

One-twelfth scale modern miniature kitchen kit pieces, some partly constructed
As soon as I thought of it, I knew that today's Finish it off Friday pick wouldn't be completed this evening, but that I'd feel pretty good when I'd either completed it, or declared it out the door as it didn't fit my definition of fun.

I'll explain.

I added this kit to my collection in May 2021: the month when I took part in the May mini makers challenge on Instagram after considering setting my own May be miniatures challenge on my blog, and deciding I was sick of announcing things and then watch them fall over, or through.

Instead I decided that since it was the depth of not-being-able-to-go-anywhere times, I could release a smallish amount of money from my budget to buy some mini supplies for my birthday.

This was one of them: the Corner of Happiness 1/12-scale Taste of Life kit, which I bought because I'd been lusting after a decent Smeg-like fridge for ages and decided that instead of buying the slightly-too-small Lundby version in black, I could justify spending a much smaller amount of money to buy a kit containing a 1/12 version, and consider the rest of the kit as 'disposable' (as it were).

I got stuck into building the kit in late May 2021, and finished the fridge the very next day, which, it would seem, rather took the wind out of my sails (although some digging through my blog suggests that the Doll House: Miniature Worlds of Wonder exhibition may have taken over my attention instead).

But I digress. This lot, half-built, is taking up rather a lot of space, so it's time for me to finish it off (and then put it away) or decide it's best recycled and binned.

But, as I'm sure you understand, it's very very hard as a miniaturist to get rid of anything as that's usually when you realise you actually need it for something else. Because hoarding is so much easier when it's in 1/12 scale or smaller... 🤣

2 comments :

m1k1 said...

I am guessing your Smeg will not be pink?

m1k1 said...

Of course, I should have followed the link to the Day of Smegness, instead of jumping in. It is very handsome in its black coat.