Saturday, September 05, 2009

Barking up the right tree

One of the issues with being a cultural transplant is the gaping holes in your knowledge about your adopted country (even if you have lived there for over a decade). I've chosen stringybark as my natural object for The Big Very Important (Scary) Final Brief and my preliminary thoughts on how I could use it has made me realise how little I know about tradition Aboriginal crafts. Maori crafts? Easy peasy: I'm thinking ketes, pois, piupius...So when I stumbled across a couple of cheap but very relevant books at Book Lore this afternoon they just had to come home with me so I can read up on bark painting and rope making and other interesting (and hopefully useful) things...(The fact the spines were black and white had absolutely nothing to do with my choice. Honest!)

No comments :