Tuesday, December 27, 2016

On Tuesday, I tied it all together...


I was in that twilight zone between sleep and awake this morning when an idea popped into my head: 'Would that gate Sandra sent you last year (and which I suspect you'd forgotten about until I mentioned it) work as a firescreen in the Airbnb place?'

So I got out of bed, rummaged through the stash and tried it out:
One-twelfth scale fireplace and chimney breast with a scrapbooking chipboard gate on top, testing for size.
 And gadzooks, my subconscious wins again!

I started the transformation with a light coat of black paint and then realised the copper paint I planned to use as a second coat had run out. So there was only one thing for it: brave the outside world and visit Super Toyworld to buy a new can.
Spraypainted chipboard scrapbooking gate with a can of black spray paint next to it.
 Since I was in the area I figured a quick visit to the Kaisercraft factory outlet just around the corner to see what options the had for my feature wallpaper would be perfectly justifiable.

And so it was I came home with four options for wallpaper (and two for fireplace tiles): but at 40 cents a sheet it seemed like a no-brainer.

Much as I liked number one (and thought it picked up the pattern in the bedhead) I decided it would just end up in a fight, with both pieces screaming 'Look at me!', So number three it was: the right colour, with a gentle pattern that didn't stand out but rather highlighted the rest of the room...
Set of four pictures of one-twelth modern miniature room, with each picture having a slightly different piece of scrapbooking paper on the right-hand wall.
Of course, before I'd started deciding on the wallpaper, I'd done a quick coat of the new paint onto the firescreen. And in a moment of sheer fluke, I wondered if it could stand up by itself if I curved it around the spray can: which lead to deciding to just fold it in three. Which meant it fitted the fireplace perfectly!

It was one of those moments where you step back and think 'Where one earth did that come from?' Which I always find to be a good sign.
One-twelfth scale fireplace and chimney breast on a work table, with a brass.firescreen in front of it and a bowl of (life sized) grapes next to it.
One-twelfth scale miniature scene, with a fireplace, distressed dresser and a bed in it.
While waiting for the paint to dry, I'd also finally hunted down the lightweight cotton fabric I wanted to back the A throw rug with, and worked out a way to squeeze not just the rug, but two cushions into the fabric I had. Then sewn them all up.
One-twelfth scale miniature scene, with a bed dressed in linen and black with throw rug and cushion printed with letter As, in front of a false wall.
 By now I was on the downhill sprint, with things coming together beautifully, especially as a lot of them were gifts from blogging buddies and friends.

Above the bed: a gramophone from friend Hannah, a temple from Mod Pod Miniatures, and a vintage portable record player from the goodie bag at NZAME convention.
Display of various one-twelfth scale miniatures, including a gramophone and vintage portable record player. a miniature temple, and two vases.
 Rug, also from Sandra and furry pouffe from Kitty and Kat Miniatures (as is the whale on the bookcase and the arrow above the dresser). Hermes box from Phillip Nuveen.
One-twelfth scale miniature scene, with a bed dressed in linen and black with throw rug and cushion printed with letter As, in front of a false wall. To the left of the bed is a distressed dresser and to the right is a set of pipe shelves.
One-twelfth scale miniature scene, with a bed dressed in linen and black with throw rug and cushion printed with letter As, in front of a false wall. To the right is a lounge area with a set of pipe shelves, a black egg chair and a cream sofa.
See the large vase on the top shelf? It (and its twin) were supposed to be light shades, hanging one on each side of the bed, above the bedside tables, But I could't seem to find working bulbs, or perhaps the battery I had was flat, so I gave up as I just wanted this things done and dusted.
One-twelfth scale miniature lounge area with a set of pipe shelves containing books and ornaments and a black egg chair.
And done and dusted it is. Just don't ask me about the state of my studio, which I'm supposed to be cleaning up, not messing up...)
One-twelfth scale miniature scene, with a bed in the centre, in front of a false wall. To the left is a table and stool, a fireplace and a distresseddresser. To the right is a lounge area with sofa, egg chair and pipe shelves.
(Time taken: just don't ask, OK?)

6 comments :

Tina said...

Great to see the Airbnb come together so well and the firescreen once it was bent looked so authentic. And it is so nice how people send you such lovely gifts...

Sheila said...

Gorgeous! And so cozy. Got any openings?

kittyandkatminiatures said...

So cozy and lived in. That fireplace looks amazing.

AMCSviatko said...

Thanks everyone!

Yes, I'm lucky to get such lovely swaps, and putting this scene together got me thinking about swaps for 2017: now that I have a regular income...

I was going to write the post as a typical Airbnb listing ('You'll love my place because...' but I was too brain dead by then) :-)

elizabeth s said...

I LOVE the conversion of the iron gate into a firescreen- it looks PERFECT for the hearth and the fit couldn't be Better! ;D

The entire room is a Tiny Treat for the eyes. Cool and Industrial yet still warm and inviting- Beautiful Work with a Creative and Clever mix!

Minis-B-Happenin' said...

I'd love to stay in a place like this. Love the dark walls, and the collected space. There's so much to take in and I love all the detail.