Sunday, December 29, 2019

The sailor's daughter

And so he did. And so she did.

Which meant I got to mock up the beginnings of the next scene in the space (that's why there's a kitchen cupboard on the roof...)
1/12 scale modern miniature scene of a kitchen, dining room and lounge in shades of white, teal, grey and light wood in a flat overlooking the sea.
The story is that when the sailor died, his daughter moved in: but not before getting rid of a lot of the 'old tat' in the place, and moving and modernising the kitchen (I probably need to think about getting another kitchen set as I use this one quite regularly).

She did keep the stove and fridge, which were still newish, and a number of pieces of her father's that she liked, and worked into the new scheme, such as her father's trunk, globe, model yacht and telescope, and the terrazzo floor...
1/12 scale modern miniature scene of a kitchen and lounge in shades of white, teal, grey and light wood in a flat overlooking the sea.
(The sofa that I'd pulled out to test my box-frame scene worked well here, paired with an Eames rocking chair from a box of goodies received from Elvira back in 2014, a rug gifted by Mitchymoo Miniatures in 2015 and cushions which I swear were also a gift but I can't find documented (although I suspect they were part of this package from Mini Dork...))

In the space where the old kitchen and (huge) table was, she added a set of industrial shelves, a tulip table (from my now-sold Kaleidoscope House.. *sniff*), some Tolix chairs, a small desk (from Mini Mod Pod), paired with a school chair (from my seaside shack), and a low sideboard (the repainted Europa sideboard from the next build after that).

1/12 scale modern miniature scene of a dining room in shades of white, teal, grey and light wood with a terazzo concrete floor.
(The lamp base is from a necklace picked up on a recent op shopping adventure, and the shade my trusty Irwin Interior Decorator Set, which I have used in many scenes over the years).

It pleased me greatly to add a new satchel for the sailor's daughter: like father, like daughter, obviously!

Now I'll let the whole thing sit for a while to mature, which will give me time to decide what I'm going to do about wall coverings, and if I like the sea-washed paper above the kitchen or need to try something bolder (or softer).

Plus decide if that wall cupboard needs to move down into the kitchen or not...
Detail of a 1/12 industrial shelving unit stacked with kithcenware in shares of teal, white, grey and light wood.

1 comment :

Sherrill said...

I love what she’s done with the place!