Monday, December 16, 2019

Sometimes things take their own sweet time to happen

Back in 2015 I submitted some pieces to ANCA's Spin exhibition of miniature wearable artworks, always planning to make one for myself if all the pieces sold (which they did!).

Almost a year later, I completed three commissioned pieces in the series. Not for me.

And then.... nothing. I had a fairly good excuse for a lot of that time ('Packing!', 'Shifting!', 'Unpacking!') but today, on the first real day of my summer break, I ran out of excuses and patience with myself.

(I may have threatened to 'throw the whole damned lot in the bin if you don't pull your finger out and actually start working on it TODAY!' It may have worked.)
Hand holding a miniature wooden box frame containing a wooden 'B' tile, and five light and dark brown books stacked inside. In the background is a cutting mat, retractable knife, rulerm container of miniature books and some pieces of cut books.
While looking for photos of previous boxes from the series, I came across this post, which caused my brain cells to spark, and me to turn around and stare in contemplation at the my work table, where my recent not-miniature op-shopped finds were sitting.

And wonder if my (full-sized) yet-to-be-hung library gallery wall could do with an addition. I came up with a quick test to check the concept:
White box frame containing a 1/12 scale modern miniature cream sofa, with a wooden table next to it. On the table is a potted cactus, and above it is a book-themed piece of assemblage art.
(and then wondered if I'm just going round and round in ever-decreasing circles...).

2 comments :

elizabeth s said...

Were the little bookshelves that you made for wearable art, turned into brooch pins or necklace pendants?
Either way, they are as cute as buttons and would easily explain them selling out!
I think that the vignette which you are considering for your gallery wall which include the little bookshelf, is simply lovely!

AMCSviatko said...

Hi elizabeth: They had brooch backings on them, and thank you. I'm now also eyeing up the second box frame and wondering if that one could be made into a writer's study vignette to complement it...