Saturday, March 18, 2006

Second Hand Saturday

Let me share two of my favorite frugalling destinations with you - and since they are within a block of each other it seems silly not to visit one when you visit the other. Vinnies in Belconnen (one of the things I like about Vinnies is their shops are all clean and bright) As you can see from this picture taken at the door this is rather a lot bigger than The Brain Injury Foundation shop (but still not big enough to need a cart!) First stop is the craft area to check out what's new. Unfortunately nothing interesting here today... It was obviously book day as that's all I ended up with (all together now: Like I need any more books!) plus a set of cupboard safety catches which are destined for V & M - not that Little is anywhere near the stage of needing something like that to keep him safe. Total: $18. Onwards and across the carpark to Salvos, stopping on the way to use the wipes I bought last week to clean my hands (great tip and what a difference it made!) View from the door to the left (bric a brac and furniture) And to the right (clothes and manchester)But I left empty handed and headed home. Where I discovered a garage sale about 10 doors up the road so stopped in to have a nosy and found this chair for $15. I suspect it's originally from the ANU and if I'm very lucky it might be a Fred Ward (have emailed a colleague at The National Capital Authority Library to see if she can throw some light on the matter) Then again it would be a good thing if it's not a Fred Ward as straight after lunch I attacked it with my wenge stain and next I plan to see if I can recover the seat without ruining it...
(Soundtrack: Waves complilation)

2 comments :

my house is cuter than yours said...

That is a lovely chair!!! i think your stain is an improvement!

Sew-Thrifty! said...

Wow! I WANT THAT WAVY STRIPE SOFA!!! Can you put it on the next boat?? (Wish wish...) Aust. thrift stores look more interesting than Canuck ones....
GREAT find on the chair! Wicked cool! Lemme guess on the fabric for re-cover...something, ahh, let's see, ummmm, maybe B&W? heehee! It'll be cool!
Hugs!