Sunday, August 26, 2007

Markets, Movies, Movenpick, Mending and being Munted

You can always tell when spring approaches in Canberra - life speeds up and the ways to spend your time multiply what seems like exponentially. Not that I'm complaining as life in Canberra is pretty damned fine except for about 8 weeks of the year, now almost passed...After a busy day yesterday a bunch of us went to check out the Night Markets down by the lake and drink mulled wine which was quite quite potent.

Afterwards there was a huge stir fry made from Farmers' Market ingredients (at J & M's - I'd spent my food money for the week on a Chocolate Mousse Martini, three raffle tickets for a bronze pear (which I didn't win) and a poster with a typo at the ANU School of Art plus a mulled wine at the night market) and we watched the short films from the Loop CD I got for my birthday. Or tried. There was too much rain and blood and general depressedness so we gave up.

Today S and I went to see Amazing Grace at:(a belated birthday treat). There were hidey holes for our handbags. Big comfy chairs with foot rests and buttons to make the chairs recline. Drinks and eats that were brought to us (not sure I liked that bit - the first time I wanted to scream "can't you see I'm trying to read the screen?! Just piss off!" but the chap had a glass of wine so I bit my tongue)
And I was quite shocked to discover a) that our food was cooked across the road at Candy Bar

but more importantly b) that they stocked Mövenpick, a favorite ice cream in New Zealand that I'd also stumbled across on my birthday a couple of years ago in Helsinki but had never seen in Australia until now. Oh - and I mended an IKEA Ribba frame that had fallen off the wall years ago, framed my poster with a typo, and hung it in pride of place in the office.
And now I'm feeling quite munted.

7 comments :

m1k1 said...

Curses! Even extracting the image and magnifying it I still can't tell whether the typo is "studo" or not. You'll have to be explicit (if you don't mind).

AMCSviatko said...

I had to look closely too, once it was pointed out there was a typo - the "of" is missing between "school" and "art"

Anonymous said...

I would love to hear more about your adventures in beautiful Helsinki - my home town. regards

Taphophile said...

Wow, you have been busy! Great shot of the night markets.

AMCSviatko said...

Hey Paula

I'd send you a scan of my trip diary of the day but I don't have your email address. I'm sad to say I was all touristed out, the weather was inclement and so the highlights for me were walking up to PienenPieni (a dolls house shop about 10 minutes walk from town) and buying some miniature silverwear, buying Marimekko Uniko placemats and Moomin stuff, eating Movenpick at a mall downtown, drinking Perry in a bar in the middle of the park opposite the information centre and again at the Vespa Bar and hearing Alphaville played in the music section of a variety store across the square from the dolls house shop.

But I have to say it's on my list of places I want to return to!

m1k1 said...

ooh ooh ooh I thought. Moomins in Canberra, but no! Helsinki (of course). SIGH.
My daughter was on exchange in Oslo last year and my 2 presents were a Muumi (mamma) bowl (survived the journey without breakage) and a packet (empty) of Muumi cookies.

And of course it's the "of" that's missing on your poster. So obvious now

AMCSviatko said...

Well, there are actually Moomins in Canberra. Unit Concepts in Braddon sells the crockery...