Thursday, September 07, 2006

Things that are making me grumpy at the moment

1. Teething problems with Dell Boy (that's what I've called my new work laptop).

Yeah yeah, I know to expect such things in a new job but us Geminis get VERY grumpy if they can't communicate and I have emails that take over half an hour to get sent (if they go at all) and a very very slow database.

Luckily the IT support chaps are good and, after some rummaging round on Dell Boy removing crap that we don't need and stuff we don't need to have running in the background, we seem to have narrowed the problem down to my wireless modem.

iBurst, it seems, needs to be pointed directly at Telstra Tower from a distance of not more than 5 feet (OK, I made that last bit up) in order to pick up any speed at all. Hurumph!

2. More tech problems, this time at Head Office causing them to be unable to pay us today. I did warn them that things start to go pear-shaped IT wise if I'm around but did they believe me? No! And apparently this issue only happens "maybe once a year" and is most unusual. The story of my life - I should hand out T shirts to tech support printed with "That shouldn't be happening!" when I start a new job.

3. The Staff cafeteria may have a severely limited menu tomorrow (see above)

4. Speaking of The Staff Cafeteria, somehow my precious bag of Pineapple Lumps*, carefully carried all the way back from NZ, got opened and finished off this afternoon. No idea how that happened (insert shifty look here) but now I don't have any more supplies.

5. And I feel sick... Definitely too sick to go to the gym tonight (excuse number 57: Sorry, I can't go to the gym, I ate too many Pineapple Lumps)

(* For my non-Antipodean readers, Pineapple Lumps are chocolate covered sweets with a chewy pineapple flavoured centre.)

4 comments :

createacraft said...

technology is supposed to facilitate our life and work and communication. doesn't it.. so why oh why sometimes it's harder to send an e-mail or upload a photo more difficult then all the reading analyzing.. summerizing thing

AMCSviatko said...

Exactly! As I said to my Dad last night "Just what did we do with all the spare time we had before technology came along?"

Anonymous said...

Cyberhugs to you. There is nothing worse than someone eating something you had wanted. Dh does this all the time. I save cookies and chocolates for months and then he'll go and finish them off in one setting. Very frustrating.

AMCSviatko said...

Even if that someone just happens to be you? (Claification: I live alone. I work from home. The STaff Cafeteria looks suspiciously like my kitchen!)