Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Tightarse Tuesday: It pays to ask

As you've probably worked out, I'm a bit of a magazine junkie. I subscribe to a number of titles because they work out significantly cheaper than buying them at the local newsagents (eg: my US Vogues are around $5 each on subscription. My AU marie claires, $6 each)

While reading
Inside Out magazine a month or so ago a subscription offer card fell out which offered a deal "Save 50%: subscribe and get 1 year free" (ie: 2 years for $42). I set it aside planning to deal with it later in the week. It got buried in a pile of other things to deal with and I forgot all about it.

Until last Friday, when my Inside Out subscription renewal notice turned up, offering me a 2 year subscription for $70. Not nearly as enticing.


I dug out the 2 for 1 card which had, of course, expired. But rather than throwing it in the recycling I called the Inside Out subscription line and told them my sad story, finishing by asking if they would be prepared to honour the offer even though it expired over a month ago.

And, after being popped on hold while the person I was talking to asked her supervisor, I was told they'd charge me $42 for two years because I'd been such a "long time subscriber".

One phone call, one cheeky request and $28 saved!

(Which reminds me of something the nice chap at the marie claire subscription department told me: if you subscribe to a magazine and see a good deal advertised you can extend your subscription and get the deal even if your subscription isn't due for renewal just yet...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was that useful 4 digit code for inside out, in case any of the rest of us can attempt to deploy it?

The Shopping Sherpa said...

Alas it's long since hit the recycling bin. Sorry :-}