Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Modern Miniatures on (ahem) Tuesday: Parade of Houses, Part Ten

Remember a couple of weeks ago I talked about some mystery furniture I bought off eBay? On the box lid for the furniture pictured in Dian Zillner's book was this house (well, not this exact house but the same model):The caption in the book reads:

German house that is exactly like the one pictured on the cover of the "HUBSCH" furniture box. It is marked "Vero/ Made in Germany." It was evidently made in East Germany since that is where the boxed furniture was produced. The house has an outside stairway and four large rooms. It looks very similar to other houses from the period that were made in West Germany, as well as the Lundby houses from Sweden.

The only other information I have on Vero is from an email I sent in September 2005 to another Australian I heard of who had a similar house. In it I said "I'm hoping you might have some info on the houses apart from the fact the company was originally Gottschalk" (a connection I'm trying now to find the reference for)

From the front the Vero house may look similar to the rest of the houses I've featured here but the left side is quite different, with floor to a ceiling window on the top level giving it a light and airy feel and a beautiful stone wall below:The plants along the window ledge are original to the house and firmly glued in place.The other end of the house is all hunkering and blank in contrast: Inside Mr and Mrs Vero have the neighbourhood children visiting. They own the first TV in the neighbourhood so have invited them over to watch it.
(As usual, more photos over at FLICKR. Oh - and if you happen to know anything more about Vero please get in touch!)

4 comments :

JustJess said...

I hope they don't trip on the corner of that rug! He he he

Anonymous said...

that is the most fantastic thing I have seen in a long time.

BRANDI MILNE said...

Drooling drooling drooling drooling - great blog ! I love it!

Unknown said...

I have one of these, bought for my 7th birthday whilst my dad was posted in Germany with the army. Still have it although the tilting window was broken by a nephew a few years ago. My own daughters play with it now. I could never find out what make it was until now so thank you.