Saturday, February 24, 2007

Second Hand Saturday - Books, I did it again...

My burning question is why are there so many great books turning up at Canberra op shops at the moment? I'm in a state of shock as to what I've managed to pick up this week, especially the three brand new crafting books for $3 each (probably destined to be onsold as I'm not into crochet), and Air Babylon and Hotel Babylon for $3 each as well as a Sophie Kinsella for $1.

Total outlay: $31.25 (the 25 cents was for Richard Scarry's
Busytown Racers which was half price at Narrabundah Vinnies - I can't walk past a Richard Scarry book in an op shop without buying it for one of the small people in my life. (Although I'm so so tempted to cut this up and use it on those little suitcases I bought yesterday...)

And, as promised here's a list of the first lot of discount coupons I have spare. If you could use any of them leave a comment and tell me which you'd like.

Touristy stuff:
* Telstra Tower (Buy one entry get one free)
* CSIRO Discovery (Buy one entry get one free)
* Canberra Space Dome (Buy one entry get one free)
* National Museum of Australia (Buy one guided tour get one free OR 25% off a Friends of the NMA membership)
* National Zoo & Aquarium (Admission for up to 4 people at 25% off the regular price)
* Questacon (Buy one entry get one free)
* Cockington Green Gardens (Buy one entry get one free)
* Australian Reptile Centre (Buy one entry get one free)
* National Dinosaur Museum (Buy one entry get one free)
* Australian Institute of Sport (Buy one entry get one free)
* Kamberra Wines (Buy one wine tour get one free)
* Dawn Drifters (Buy one adult balloon ride gift voucher at 25% off the regular price)

Cultural stuff:
* Australian Chamber Orchestra (Buy one ticket to any performance presented my ACO for the Canberra Concert Seasonat Canberra Ticketing, Civi Square get one free)
* National Capital Orchestra (Buy one ticket get one free)
* Canberra Symphony Orchestra (Buy two tickets to a subscription series concert at 25% off the regular price)
* The Australia Choreographic Centre (Buy one Risky Manouevres Subscrption Season admission, get one free)

Sporty stuff:
* Canberra Gunners (Buy one ticket get one free, regular season only)
* Canberra Knights (Buy one ticket get one free, regular season only)
* TransACT Capitals (25% off the total admission price for up to 5 people, regular season only)

Active stuff:
* Phillip Swimming & Ice Skating Centre (Buy one ice skating admission get one free)
* Canberra Indoor Rock Climbing (Buy one climb get one free)
* Pitch'n'Putt (Buy 18 holes of golf, get another 18 holes free)
* Grand-Prix Karting (Buy a 10 minute kart ride, get one free)
* Adventure Paintball (25% off any group booking)
* Laser Sports (25% off any group booking)
* AMF (Buy two full priced games (including shoe rental) and get two free - three coupons)
* Adrenalin Plus (Buy one day in-line skate or surfboard hire, get one free)
* Adventure Consultants (25% off any adventure activity)
* Canberra Yacht Club (50% off one hour Hobie Cat hire)
* Club Blue (Buy one casual pool admission get one free)
* Woden Squash Centre (50% off squash court hire)
* Murder to Order (25% off the total bill of a party kit)
* Rapid Moves (Buy one funk dance lesson, get one free)
* Taoist Tai Chi Society (Buy one 4 month beginners Tai Chi course, get one free)
* Capital Hill Health Club (25% off the price of a 6 month full off peak membership)

Kiddy stuff:
* The Enchanted Room (25% off the regular price of any school holiday fun session)
* Kids Rampage (Buy one entry get one free)
* The Fun Factory (Buy one entry get one free)

(Listening to Rickie Lee Jones,
Rickie Lee Jones)

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

I listened to that Ricky Lee Jones record all the time when I was a kid. I especially loved "Danny's All Star Joint." My mom raised me on some pretty good music. She taught me how to sing harmony with records like this one.

AMCSviatko said...

Jealous! I just got to sing "Morning has Borken" by Cat Stevens and "Little Red Bird in the tree" (which I think is traditional. No harmony singing at all...

rooruu said...

I quite agree about Richard Scarry. And as you browse the bookshelves, have you noticed that there doesn't seem to be a single op shop without a copy of Prey, by Michael Crichton? Either they printed enough copies to pave the Hume Highway, or everybody read it and hated it and couldn't get it to the op shop fast enough.

AMCSviatko said...

Roru - I hadn'tactually but when I popped into my local one at lunchtime today I discovered you're right!