Thursday, October 16, 2008

Playing (to a rather full) House

Welcome to all the readers who have clicked here after reading the article in today's Canberra Times. I hope you enjoy your visit and come back soon (there are links at the bottom left if you wish to subscribe with a feed reader of your choice)

I thought you'd appreciate some links to where you can learn more about my collection and modern miniatures in general...

Your first stop on the tour of The Shopping Sherpa's miniature world should probably be to read the post I wrote a couple of years ago about why I collect modern:
Corners of my Home (mini version)

Then you might like to look at the houses in the
CMAG exhibition more closely and read about their backgrounds in my Parade of Houses blog posts. More photos of the houses in the exhibition can be found in my FLICKR exhibition photos set

If you're still intrigued by the concept I run a
Modern Miniatures FLICKR group with photos from collectors and creators around the world.

Have I inspired you to start your own collection of modern miniatures for either yourself or a small person in your life? In that case you'll want to read
where to find Modern Miniatures Part One (houses) and where to find Modern Miniatures Part Two (furniture and accessories) before heading to Thumbelina Miniatures and Gifts at Gold Creek: she has an impressive range of Lundby and other miniature treasures.

While you're out that way you should duck across the road and visit the mini wonderland that is
Cockington Green. (I'm just assuming it's still a miniature wonderland: embarrassingly I haven't been there since I had a film camera which dates it as at least 8 years ago. Something I plan to rectify in the very near future, I promise!)

David Jones
toy department also stocks a limited range of Lundby.

If it's not a fully fledged miniature obsession you're after but just one of the fabulous 1/12th scale miniautre chairs in the display cabinet on the wall I have good news. You can get them locally as well! James down at
Victorian Dolls Houses (hmmm.... I think he needs to change his name or move many miles southward...) has them all in stock (but not yet up on his website). Prices (from memory) are in the range of $15 to $25 a piece. Drop him an email for more details.

And I couldn't finish this round up without mentioning
my eBay store where I have all discontinued Lundby Gothenburg items at 20% for the next month to celebrate the exhibition. I also have a range of Lundby Gothenburg, Smaland and Stockholm items with damaged packaging with discounts of between 25% and 40%.

Right, I think that leaves you enough reading and clicking to get on with. Now I need to go create some "eclectic art and craft" to live up to Megan's article...(Thanks Megan for such a great write-up and Mel for the fab photos!)

7 comments :

Taphophile said...

Good article, great photo of you. How exposed are you feeling?

Michelle said...

I'd be pissing my pants right now, if it was me! I remember I did an interview with the Age a couple of years ago, and it took me weeks to stop feeling so exposed. He he.

Anyway, it was a great article. Really great. I have a copy I can pop into your letterbox if you want a free spare to send to the folks.

m1k1 said...

Excellent.
You look so cute draped over the house.
Don't think The tiny Times can match that! Sorry in advance.

AMCSviatko said...

Not very actually.Prorbaly because I spent 5 years running a newspaper library and thus have hit the press on various past occassions for various reasons.

Actually I should dig out one of the articles to share (and, in the process, enbarras myself fully).

Glad you like the photo: 'twas my idea (you can take the Photo Librarian out of the Library but you can't etc etc)

twitchy fingers said...

congratulations on the article! I'll have to track it down tomorrow, but the photos look great.

Anonymous said...

Great article, how interesting!

Thank you for the comment on my blog, sorry it took me a while to get back to commenting!

Modern MC said...

You are so "representin" the modern mini collectors in a great light. You look great!