Sunday, November 06, 2011

Deer ♥

With a lovely clear workbench (I won't mention most of the contents are now on the floor) I felt the sudden need to make my Amazing Miniatures deer trophy (amazing! I've had it less than a month!) And you know what? If you follow the instructions, it's actually quite easy! (A dry fit wasn't actually necessary, but I did it anyway just in case)
And in less time than I expected, I was done. Well once the glue holding the head to the backing dried, which didn't take long at all.

Since this is an (almost) step-by step post, I thought it was about time to do another "
behind the scenes" on how I put this scene together:

Step one: I wanted a plain wall colour to show off the head, but wanted a warmer colour than the white card I usually use, which can be
a bit blue. So I used some watercolour paper I had on hand. And from my pile of flooring choices I picked a sample piece of carpet I picked up from the hardware store for $5 months ago: Step two: Keeping with the natural theme, I tried out three or four shelving options and finally settled on a Lundby piece I'd removed the legs from which works well in 1/12. While I was digging through the mini store cupboard, I spotted this cane rocker which I thought might work:Step three: Dressing the scene...
Three a: I really like how the wooden vases and bowls continue the theme. The rocker cushions were from
last year's Advent Calendar Swap, used the wrong way round to hid the stars. I'm pretty happy. Except for the items on top of the shelving.
Three b: With a different plant. Still not right, but I think the basket looks better on the right side.
Three c: Yep, I think that's it. I especially like the way the square of the basket is now mirrored in the square of the clock and pulls the eye towards the box in the middle...

(Time taken, including making the deer trophy head? 2 1/2 hours)

6 comments :

m1k1 said...

It didn't occur to me to ask before, but do you use some sort of removeable tape or similar product, to position your wall bits and bobs in these little scenes? Forgive me if this question has an obvious answer. I'm more about the admiring others' work, than the doing myself.

AMCSviatko said...

Blutack is my friend. :-)

AMCSviatko said...

Does that mean you'd prefer you deer head to arrive fully formed?

m1k1 said...

I can rise to the occasion when necessary, and I am sure it would be easier to post flat ;-)
xx
jen

Mini Dork said...

So cool seeing Ann's deer head assembly process. I LOVE seeing your process of putting your scenes together. You pick the greatest little things to really make it picture perfect. LOVE IT!

Heli said...

Unbelievable!
What a nice blog I found:)