Monday, October 01, 2007

I finally got an iPod!

Modern dolls' house miniature side table behind a blue and white checked sofa. On the table is a potted lilly plant, a pair of sunglasses, a Gameboy and a Nokia mobile phone.But it's not what you think. I got a mini one. Plus a Gameboy. And a mobile phone.

Here's how I did it:

1. Searched Google images for front-on photos of the bits I wanted.
2. Opened a fresh Word document.
3. Copied the photos into Word.
4. Measured my full-sized versions (for the phone and Gameboy) or checked Amazon.com for dimensions (for the iPod), worked out what 1/12 would be then formatted the photos to be the same size.
5. Continued adding and formatting photos.
6. Since I didn't want to waste what turned out to be my last sheet of photo paper, once I'd chosen all the bits I wanted, I copied and pasted them until the page was full.
7. Then I printed it on the highest quality.
8. And used spray adhesive to attach the photo page to the cardboard backing that came in the package (handy, that!)
9. Left it to dry between 2 lots of wax paper, weighed down with telephone books.
10. Using small sharp scissors, cut around each item I was after. For the Gameboy and original iPod I pasted an extra layer of cardboard onto the back before cutting to make them more hefty.Sheet of images of Gameboys, iPods and mobile phones.
Now I just have to work out what to do with 38 extra original Gameboys, 72 Nokia 3310 phones and 152 mixed iPods (and, no, I have no interest in building a miniature Dick Smith Powerhouse, thank you...!)

(All items in top picture from my
Bay Villa - I figured the whole 90s vibe would suit my old-school electronics!)

_________________________________________________________________________
Read my other modern miniature tutorials:

Paint a vase with nail varnish

Make a floor rug out of a placemat
Turn stickers into modern placemats
Refinish a discount-store side table
Print on fabric
Make a duck-board bathmat out of tongue depressors.

1 comment :

Cherry ・ チェリー ・ 체리  said...

hey thats quite a good idea. A bit a lot of work thou but still :P looks awesome