Saturday, March 11, 2017

Saturday: strange couplings

The latest Alex Asch exhibition opened at Beaver Galleries on Thursday night. I decided not to go to the opening (apart from all the people that would be there, I was concerned that I might have a glass or two of bubbles then accidentally buy something...).

Instead I popped in this morning: first for breakfast at The Palette Cafe, them for a mooch around the exhibition (where, in true Canberra style, I bumped into my tutor from my CIT design course!)

Good thing I don't have tons of money (or, indeed, space), as I lusted after almost everything in the exhibition.
View of an art gallery exhibition of Alex Asch assemblage art pieces.
Detail of an assemblage art piece by Alex Asch, showing a cathedral model inside a circular port hole.
View of an art gallery exhibition with two Alex Asch assemblage art pieces in black and white, in the shape of buildings.
Alex Asch assemblage art piece in black, red and grey, in the shape of buildings.
View of an art gallery exhibition with a wall full of Alex Asch assemblage art pieces in black and red, based on various musical instruments.
Detail of an assemblage art piece by Alex Asch, made up of various pieces of distressed corrugated iron.
Detail of an assemblage art piece by Alex Asch, made up of various pieces of distressed board, pipe and metal.
Detail of an assemblage art piece by Alex Asch, made up of various pieces of distressed corrugated iron and board, and part of a road sign.
 But most particularly this piece, 
Assemblage art piece by Alex Asch, with two black boxes and a staircase.
with its miniature gallery containing a Rosalie Gascoigne homage inside (the concept of one of my favourite Canberra artists referencing another of my favourite Canberra artists, in miniature, delights me greatly).
Detail of an assemblage art piece by Alex Asch, showing a miniature art gallery space with a painted model viewing a piece in homage of artist Rosalie Gascoigne.
And this piece, which takes up much less room and would fit in with my decor perfectly...
Assemblage art piece by Alex Asch, with various distressed boards making up a 2D view of old warehouse buildings.
 But, with my wallet tucked safely in my bag, I finally left and came home to create my own bit of distressing, at a much more affordable price:
Two painted wire items on a sheet of baking paper in a box, with a row of various spray cans lined up behind in browns, greys and metal colours.

1 comment :

Pepper said...

Perfect paint choice. Looking forward to seing your table-cum-industrial shade in a scene :0D