Wednesday, October 04, 2006

I've been feeling like a frugalling failure...

Over the past couple of weeks I had started to feel that my Frugalling Fairy has deserted me. After repeated visits to my usual haunts the only thing I found worth buying were two very plain very boring very standard light fittings for $1.50 each. Not even worth photographing.

Maybe it's the time of year. I don't know - having only been a hardened frugaller since the beginning of this year I don't know the seasonal vagrarities (is there such a word) of the thrifting universe. (Any enlightenment would be gratefully received!)

Today, though, things returned to normal. I picked up a brand new looking copy of Are you my mother? for 20c and a set of four Maxwell Williams white cups and saucers for $4 the lot. Both are destined for future gift giving.

Which brings me to another issue to ponder. At this time of year do we continue to show off our thrifty scores with prices and risk the recipients of our Christmas goodies snorting "I know she only paid $4 for that - what a cheapskate?" (even though we can happily counter that It's the thought that counts not the cost) or do we get coy and vague with prices and start to censor our thrifty postings?

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

'Are You My Mother?' was my favourite book when I was a kid.

AMCSviatko said...

It was up there in my list along with Richard Scarry's "What do people do all day?" which I found endlessly fascinating.

If you don't have a copy for your kids I'd be happy to send this one out to you...

Anonymous said...

re the cost comments - i will have to read all your blogs to see how much TIME you spent to buy my presents - which i quite like - even if they did come with original dust (i do hope you didn't pay extra for that!). ok - since you are sitting next to me - I love!!! need to clean my apartmentl, paint walls and start hanging my collection! princess B of Libraria.