Thursday, January 11, 2007

Corners of my World - What's new, Pussycat?

I know I have a number of readers who are ex Canberrans who pop by to keep up with what's happening in this odd little city I call home.

Before Christmas I mentioned to one of them in an email that the old Griffith Centre had gone and been replaced by a snazzy new version, and, in fact, she'd find that area of the city almost unrecognisable these days.

So today I took a stroll round town (in the 30 plus degree heat) to show you what's new...This is the office block that's going up where the old skate park and Griffith Centre were. I think the ATO are going in there (but don't quote me on that!)Across the road is the spunky new Griffith Centre which is where the Brain Injury Foundation op shop is.

Down to the end of the street (did this street go right through to Braddon when you were last here, ex-Canberrans?) and across Bunda Street to Gus's and this is what you see these days. No more Bunda Street carpark. Instead we have a whopping huge new mall extension with a Dendy and a Big W.
We're not done with our walk yet. Let's continue down the road and around the corner to Civic Squareand the new library/ link building.(Will I get run out of town if I say I don't like the new Civic Library at all?)

Oh - and that picture at the top is the new sculpture at the library. Which I do like. A lot.

(Listening to: Joan Armatrading, Whatever's for us)

3 comments :

twitchy fingers said...

Jeez, I live here and I hadn't seen most of those places... especially the library. Damn these modern times, where a perfectly good library in the centre of town can be up and moved out and away from citizens and the flow of pedestrians, into a overly eclectic and bizarre building [at this point I step down of soapbox].

AMCSviatko said...

I think they were hoping the relocation of the library would take the pedestrains with it across London Circuit and revitalise that part of town...

[edging round soapbox and trying to ignore it in case I leap onto it and pontificate on the state of the new library thus causing all sorts of problems for myself]

Anonymous said...

very interesting, this reminds me of on eof my visits to Canberra.