Wednesday, January 31, 2024

With knobs on

 While scuttling through Kmart the other day in search of something else I spotted what looked like the perfect 1/12-scale marble side tables in the DIY section.

Four large marble-look round wall hooks of varying sizes in packaging
Alas it would seem that my brain was either one step ahead of me or one step behind me because I didn't think to stop and consider how they might attach to the wall (or why the base of the packaging was so deep) until after I'd bought them and arrived home. Opened the box. And found this:
Bottom of a cardboard package with 4 screws sticking through it, covered with plastic guards.

Marble-look wall hook with a large screw sticking out of the end.
After a bit of wiggling and jiggling with some pliers (and then some wiggling and jiggling with them to try and remove the screw! 😜) I gave up and decided to contact a friendly neighbour who sells lovely expensive power tools for a living and is happy to show them off (and his skills with them) if I ask nicely and he has the time, figuring that my worst-case scenario was that I'd need to scoot back to Kmart to return them as a bad idea.

Last night lovely friendly neighbour came over, did some wiggling and jiggling with (bigger) pliers to try and remove the screw, snorted (kindly) at the size and power of the tools in my tool trolley, then wandered off and returned with his angle grinder.

And so it was that I finished the evening with 4 new marble side tables for a whopping $3.50 each, and a renewed appreciation of good neighbours.
Four one-twelfth scale modern marble-look miniature side tables in various sizes.
(Because I'm still waiting for other neighbour, or the police, to turn up and sort out her accusation of me stealing her delivery).

No comments :