Monday, June 01, 2009

Cooking from the Cupboard: Day One

The day (and month) started with the best of intentions but by afternoon plans had derailed (and not in a cute Tootle frolicking amongst the buttercups way either)

I haven't done a shop since I got back from Noumea so headed over this morning, mainly to restock the fruit and veg:

1 litre organic milk: $2.55
Facial cleanser: $12.84 (I've been using up my travel supplies since November and I'm finally out)
500g cheese: $4.79
150g bag of baby spinach leaves: $3.96
3 Fuji apples: $1.52
746g piece of butternut pumpkin: .59
2 zucchini: $2.06
2 bananas: $1.57
122g mushrooms: $1.15
Total: $31.03

Today's menu:

Breakfast: Porridge with craisins, wheatgerm, brown sugar and milk. Cup of tea.
Morning tea: Cheese and crackers. Apple.
Lunch: Homemade nachos.

So far so good, right?

But then I headed off to a 1:30pm meeting. Which turned into an all afternoon thing. And I hadn't taken any afternoon tea with me in the rush to get there. So, $7 later I'd bought some.


Kerching.

Then there was the rush from work back home to pick up stuff for tonight's class and back out again. No time to organise a dinner-time snack. So I spent another $4.50 at the CIT cafe for an egg salad sandwich.

Kerching.

Total spent on unnecessary takeaway food items: $11.50

*sigh*

2 comments :

Taphophile said...

Tootle is one of my all time favourite Little Golden Books. I can see him in the meadow with daisies right now!

Organisation is the bain of the frugalista's life. I will be cooking muesli bars this evening to keep in handbag for just such situations.

Anonymous said...

Bag of almonds always in bag is my trick for such situations! :) xx
Anna-Lisa