Friday, June 01, 2007

So How'd I Go?: Day One

Like this is no surprise, Day One went pretty well.

For breakfast I had a cup of tea and a packet of Oat Temptations (Apricot flavour)

Morning tea was crackers and cheese plus an apple.

I realised I had celery which was starting to look a little past it so lunch was penne pasta with chickpeas, celery and Dolmio. Two serves of Dolmio and one of the completed meal went into the freezer for later....

No afternoon tea as I was out and about.

For dinner I planned to have fish and wedges but I forgot to buy potatoes with my last shop so it became fish and rice with (frozen) peas and corn. I'm also out of eggs and the chickpea penne used the last tin of chickpeas. Decisions to be made already re: grocery shopping this month...

Life wasn't too hard today. Work paid for a latte (a very very bad one) and a glass of wine. I got good mail. At home I still have supplies of chocolate and wine.

Had an interesting discussion with Aunty A about friends helping you out. I feel that if I decide to put myself into Purdah it's not up to other people to buy my wine/ chocolate/ dinner/ whatever during the month as then I'd feel like I was sponging off people. Which is certainly not my intent.

We decide it's permissible for me to cook dinner and have someone bring wine but not OK to swap a cooked dinner for a ticket to the movies. Looks like I won't be going to the cinema this month, then...

I'm secretly relieved when a friend I was planning to meet for drinks tonight (date made before Fiscal Fast was decided) calls and cries off because she is too tired. I'd planned to invite her over for lunch instead but she has visitors all weekend. I breathe a sigh of relief.

Then I got an email from
Stripy Sock Studio alerting me about the Hallensteins limited edition Music Month collection.... Birthday is over... Christmas is months away... What to do?! Can I bribe Kiwi bloggers with promises of goodies to come? Knitted cupcakes, perchance? What to do? What to do???

Oh - and then Gemma decides to join in and I realise I probably need a webring. Or something. Good thing tomorrow is the weekend, hey?

3 comments :

gemma said...

does train fare count, as I plan to go out on a couple of weekends this month, and inspectors get kinda *****ty with non payment of fares?

Going to be a good challenge around three weeks from now when the (grown up) kids who still live at home start growling about the boring food choices. Sucks to them, because I like rice/pasta/beans.

AMCSviatko said...

Bugger bugger bugger - I just tried to post and got the following message:

"This blog has been locked by Blogger's spam-prevention robots. You will not be able to publish your posts, but you will be able to save them as drafts. "

The good news: I've applied to be unlocked.

The bad news? It takes up to 2 business days to do this. And today (typical) is Saturday (around midnight Friday in Blogland). Which means two business days would make it... around Monday next week before I can post. Urgh!

My mind is ducking and weaving and plotting possible work-arounds. Can Trudy post? (doubt it as the blog is locked) can I create a temporary blog and link to it from here? (more likely)

Anyway - Gemma - in answer to your question. I'm basing the rules I'm making up (and possibly changing) on The Compacting rules (see a link to them over there on the left - something I was going to blog about tonight) and the book Not buying it: my year without shopping which I borrowed from the library.

Therefore business related expenses are OK. Essential travel is OK (do you have a train ten trip? That's definately OK as you're using something you've already bought). And I've decided basic necessary groceries are OK too (I plan top buy local if possible). So I'm allowing myself to replace the eggs, potatoes, onions, garlic and loo roll I'm out off (yay to that last one, hey?) but I've decided no to the feta and couscous I've run out of. The cherry tomatoes will be replaced by normal ones. I'm still deciding if I'm allowed tinned beans or have to buy dried (leaning towards the later atm).

Feel free to add your ideas!

AMCSviatko said...

Okie Dokie peeps!

You can find me here for the moment:

http://thetemporaryshoppingsherpa.blogspot.com/

Mwahahahahaha!