Sunday, December 24, 2017

Sunday fun day: The icicle works

One-twelfth scale modern miniature luxury bathroom with a pasific theme. Under the window is a tub filled with bubbles, and next to the windows, wall-mounted candles. The sink is on a colonial sideboard and there is a bronze ornamental mirror above. There are plenty of white fluffy towels rolled up, and a glass of sparkling wine sits on the side of the bath under the window,
Dear Brain: I love hanging out with you when you've got the time and space to think things through and work things out that I didn't even know you were thinking about.

A case in point: at some stage early this morning, you poked me gently as I rolled over in bed (a much nicer approach than previous efforts: thank you) and whispered 'So what were you thinking of using as a tap for that Lori bath you've got in stash? Because I have an idea...'

I rolled back and replied 'Dunno... Shapeways? I'm listening...'

You continued: 'Do you think Lindt are selling those umbrella-shaped chocolates this Christmas?'

'What umbrella-shaped chocolates, and do you seriously think Christmas Eve morning is a good time to suggest going to the supermarket?!' I shot back.

'Erm, sorry. Just a thought. I think the handle would make a great floor-standing tap and today would be a good time to check, before Christmassy things are completely sold out...' my brain countered.

'Bugger.' I muttered. 'You're right on all counts'.

And so it was I ventured into Woolies on Christmas Eve, just before lunchtime (pretending I was really going for tahini, toothpaste, toilet paper and cherries) and blow me down, if there wasn't a box just next to the entrance with a few Lindt 'icicles' in it. I grabbed one.
One-twelfth scale modern miniature bath with pink towel over the side, sitting on a cutting mat with a full-sized Lindt chocolate 'icicle' in front of it.
Not that I'd planned to do anything with the bath today, but since I decided at the beginning of the challenge that Sundays could be 'fun days' (as I'm not usually on my computer on Sundays, so it seemed a good compromise for December), bath time it was.

I opened the chocolate to eat it (oh, the sacrifices we make...) and was delighted to discover one of my questions (about how to attach the tap to something to make it stable on the floor) had been answered for me (Brain, you're an amazing thing sometimes...)
Aerial view of a cutting mat with a saw and a plastic length with a cirular protuberance near the bottom.
All I had to do was cut it down.

Or so I thought. Although it worked it just seemed... miserly. Almost apologetic. It needed something to stand on to give it some height.
One-twelfth scale modern miniature bath with pink towel over the side and blue tap over the back, sitting on a cutting mat with a miniature mitre box in front of it.
Luckily I've been spending some time each day during my break sorting out my stash drawers. It took me almost no time to think of these:
One-twelfth scale modern miniature bath with pink towel over the side and a floor-standing tap behind it, sitting on a small round tin lid. In the foreground is a small white tray containing a number of bindis in tiny tins.
(Bindis in tins that I bought many many (many) years ago as I was planning to use the tins for... something? Maybe something like this??)

But sacrifices had to be made in the interest of getting this thing finished.
One-twelfth scale modern miniature bath with pink towel over the side, with a floor-standing 'tap' on top of a small round silver tin, with clamps holding it in place. In the background is a tube of glue.
It was when I went to paint it I realised I had an issue. What colour?

I was originally going to go with gunmetal (since it was out on the work bench already from Thursday's build). But then I thought bronze. No! Black. And finally settled on safe old silver. (The knob is another stash-drawer find, from a set of travel checkers I picked up at an op shop a few years ago with no idea why I needed it. Now I know...)
While I waited for the paint to dry (which takes no time at all at this time of the year), I realised that perhaps I should throw up a scene to contain the bath.

And since my brain had done such a good job of things so far today, I let it take the lead.

We're using that 49 cent placemat I picked up at Dimmey's two years ago for window privacy? Fabulous! (Glad you remembered I had that...)
Cutting knife, metal ruler and black marker pen laid out on a plastic placemat with a translucent design (and a 49 cent sticker), with a one-twelfth scale plastic window frame on top.
And adding those dimensional stickers I bought at Pete's Emporium at the beginning of the year, after painting the candles white and adding wicks? Why didn't I think of that??
One-twelfth scale metal wall candle holder with white candles.
While we're on the subject of Pete's Emporium, you want to use that pasifika 'flooring' I picked up this last trip? With the kiwi-themed scrapbooking paper I got from Scrapbook Central?

I like where this is heading..
One-twelfth scale modern miniature bathroom with a floor-standing tub full of bubble bath, under a window, On the ledge is a tray with a fern pattern, a bottle of bath salts and one of bubble bath, plus a glass of sparkling wine.

(I added the bubbles and the bubbles. It's Christmas Eve after all...)
One-twelfth scale modern miniature luxury bathroom with a pasific theme. Under the window is a tub filled with bubbles, and next to the windows, wall-mounted candles. The sink is on a colonial sideboard and there is a bronze ornamental mirror above. There are plenty of white fluffy towels rolled up, and a glass of sparkling wine sits on the side of the bath under the window,
What I neglected to add (and my brain didn't remind me about) was taps for the basin...

But I did have one good idea, which was to head back to the supermarket and buy the rest of their stock of 'icicles' so I can have a bronze tap. And a black one. And a spare one, just in case.
One-twelfth scale modern miniature luxury bathroom with a pasific theme. Under the window is a tub filled with bubbles, and next to the windows, wall-mounted candles. The sink is on a colonial sideboard and there is a bronze ornamental mirror above. There are plenty of white fluffy towels rolled up, and a glass of sparkling wine sits on the side of the bath under the window, On the floor are three full-sized Lindt chocolate icicles.
I'm relying on my very clever brain to remember where I put them after I've finished eating the chocolate...

3 comments :

elizabeth s said...

Sensational. Your clever brain has come up with some wonderful ideas which you have executed Beautifully!
I Love the faucet and the bubbly tub of suds. Love also the wall bracket sticker and especially the floor! It all works together Perfectly!
Merry Christmas and Keep those brainstorms coming! :D

Mid Mod Miniatures said...

Eating chocolate for the sake of your art - what dedication!

AMCSviatko said...

Thanks Elizabeth, I think things may be slowing down as I head towards the end of Daily Dolls' House December for this year (and back to work: which seems to suck up a lot of my brain power and my time!)

Mid Mod Miniatures: The sacrifices we have to make for our hobby... ;-P