Sunday, February 04, 2024

Sunday fun day: Looks like I need to make some more books day

It's been a very hot, and therefore slow, day today, but I've discovered that sitting next to the open window in the studio does provide a fairly consistent cool breeze to keep me from melting completely.

I pulled the duct tape off my Daiso Eames chair, and gave it a blast of (pink!) spray paint, thinking that the Modern dresser from The Tiny Timber Co. that I'd used for yesterday's shelfie would work well with it.

Then an email from Pinterest suggested I might be interested in some free vintage book spines and book covers, and suddenly I was thinking of a modern twist on the cottagecore trend, and pulling out my stash of scrapbooking paper to see what would work.

Selection of one-twelfth scale modern miniatures with a cottagecore vibe
(And also hunting through my newly-sorted picture stash for more pictures to frame and add to the scene).

At first I was thinking this could be a hallway (and easy scene to make) but I know I feel like my fallback option when I'm not sure, or feeling lazy is a dresser or sideboard or something with a chair next to it, so decided to challenge myself a bit more (while keeping the fallback option up my sleeve just in case).

I stole the bed and table from the writers' retreat furniture stash, (for those of you who remember it, the build is still sitting down in the workshop in the same state it was when I moved it here, and which at some stage I'll need to decide if I'll ever finish it or if it's one of those things that I'll need to decide I have no room for if I do, and pass along to someone else to finish or repurpose), and am contemplating if the Kmart marble-look tables would work here.

I'm leaning towards a ditsy pink wallpaper for the wall that's not paneled (although think the giant gingham would be fun), and using a page I cut out of a magazine years ago as a quick and easy inspiration wall above the desk.
One-twelfth scale pink Eames chair in front of 2 patterns of wallpaper, and an image of a inspiration wall of flowers and birds and photos
I'm very tempted to see if I have the patience to try and make that wall seem like the room is tucked into an attic of a house, but suspect it'll be a bit much at the moment (and it reminds me that, when I have the capacity and finances, I had a plan to look into talking to someone about designing and laser cutting a set of modular wall pieces that I can slot together depending on the scene I'm wanting to build ).

Hopefully I get to use the wool that came in the 2016 NZAME convention goodie bag, and I'm thinking that the vine I tucked away last month from the kitchen kit might, with a trim, work as a trailing plant.
Two patterns of scrapbooking paper that looks like one-twelfth scale wallpaper with 4 balls of one-twelfth scale wool, a cup and saucer and a length of plastic fake plant.
Which means I already have a list for tomorrow's Make, do and mend Monday:
1. Make vintage book/s.
2.Sort through the pictures I think might work and find frames to fit them, and vice versa.
3. Trim trailing plant and see if it works as intended.
4. Find or make bedding.
5. (Stretch goal) Since today is my 18th blogiversary: see if I can find anything from the first few blog posts that I could use as easter eggs in the scene.

No comments :