Thursday, February 29, 2024

Throwback Thursday: an old tutorial

 Today's the end of the month and the end of the season so I have a pile of life admin tasks that need my attention, and was pleased that it's Thursday so I can justify a throwback post.

While checking the back end of my blog at lunchtime today I noticed that my most-visited post is my tutorial from 2010 on printing on fabric using your home printer, which I figured was old enough to share again.

But, because a photoless post is pretty boring, I decided I should pull together some photos of scenes where I used fabric I'd printed:

First up, I made some bunting from some leftover pieces from fabric I printed to use in a swap back in 2010:

One-twelfth scale modern miniature desk with a string of bunting in progress.
In January 2021 I made the tea towel cushions from the tutorial I posted the month before, and then made a quick scene to put them in:

One-twelfth scale modern miniature scene of a lounge with a sectional sofa holding a selection of cushions made from tea towels, and a pile of Uppercase magazines stacked on the floor in front of it.
In February I got a bit carried away and printed the fabric for a doona/duvet cover and cushion (I can't remember if I also printed the grey and white stripey fabric, but suspect I did as it matches pretty well.)
One-twelfth scale modern miniature bedroom with patchwork-style doona cover, matching pillows and a accent cushion with a graphic pear on it.
(I'm also still loving the art above the bed, which is a plastic doily mounted in a full-sized vintage slide frame gifted to me by a friend).

July that year brought the scene I'm probably most proud of: Pushing the envelope.
One-twelfth scale modern miniature bedroom scene containing a single bed with a quilt cover made of squares of the inside of security envelopes, a teddy bear in the background and a box of letters in the foreground.
(Which ended up being part of the Museum of Arts and Design in New York's Otherwordly exhibition in the online exhibition Small Realities (now, sadly disappeared off the internet).

Then in August I made a cushion based on a full-sized one I'd bought, and included it in a scene of a homeware store, playing with scale:
One-twelfth scale modern miniature shelf display containing a street-art tea towel cushion, and various pieces of ceramic.

In September I continued with the black-and-white theme, and made a pile of cushions for what turned out to be a soft-furnishings showroom:
One-twelfth scale modern miniature soft furnishing store with a cube bookcase of cushions behind a desk with a laptop on it.

There seems to be a break until 2015, when I printed out a suitably-marked coffee sack to use for bench upholstery in Hideout cafe, part of my entry into the Shapeways 3D printed Miniature Houses Contest:
One-twelfth scale modern miniature cafe corner with a bench cushion covered with a printed coffee sack.

As part of my Daily Dolls' House December 2017 challenge, I used a cushion printed with a security envelope pattern, which I suspect I printed much earlier:

Corner of a one-twelfth scale modern miniature sofa with several cushions, a drink in a glass, several pieces of cake and a book.


One-twelfth scale modern miniature loft scene with sofa and a cushion with a stencilled 26 on it.
(If you're in Australia you can buy rolls of Freezer paper from USA Foods, or buy it by the piece from Spotlight)

No comments :