Monday, December 09, 2019

Op shop inspiration

(It's OK: I bought this lot before my declaration that I most definitely do not need any more miniatures for quite some time...)

I've been op shopping* a lot over the past year, looking for things I need (and didn't know I needed) for my new home: I've kept myself on a pretty tight budget as I've heard that paying as much as possible off your mortgage in the first year makes a huge difference to how long you spend paying it off, and how much interest you pay in the end.

(I've also been haunting Gumtree, as I've been playing the 'Let's pretend we're just flatting' for the first year game, but that's a whole different post).

On a recent op shop jaunt I picked these up from various op shops for a total of $15:
Rustic picture frame with various wood lengths on it behind a dolls' house Asioan screen, two small boxes made with black metal and clear shell, and a mint in package set of three 1/12 scale miniature ginger jars.
As there was a piece of the picture frame missing already, I planned to pull it apart and reuse the wooden strips in a rustic scene.

I started that on yesterday,
Rustic picture frame made with strips of wood. Several strips are missing and there is a set of pliers next to the missing section.
but then stopped as I saw this:
Rustic picture frame made with strips of wood. Several strips are missing and there is a set of pliers next to the missing section in the background is an Asian screen and a set of 1/12 scale ginger jars.
 changed my mind, Blu-tacked the missing bits back on, and started nutting out a scene.
1/12 scale pop-up asian food stall with a rustic front wall, and tables and stools scattered in front of it.
I'd originally thought of some sort of hipster food spot, but since the only drinks fridge I currently have is a Coca-Cola-branded one, I realised that wouldn't work...

And since the rest of the op-shopped pieces were asian-flavoured, the way forward seemed clear.
1/12 scale pop-up asian food stall with a rustic front wall, and tables and stools scattered in front of it. At the front of the foood stall is a counter with food displayed underneath, a cash register, and a stack of trays.
Still playing, I gathered bits from the stash that might suit, creating the story as I went along:

It's a small kitchen so they display the dishes of the day under the counter for customers to chose from.

Trays and takeaway cutlery are available at the register, if you choose to 'dine in'.
1/12 scale modern miniature takeaway food pop-up with dishes displayed under the counter, and trays, till, and glass full of cutlery on top of the counter.
(Actually, the kitchen is so small, I'm not sure it is legal, but we'll ignore that for now...
1/12 scale modern miniature takeaway food counter with trays, till, and glass full of cutlery on top of the counter. Behind, in the kitchen is a stove with pots, sauces above and a bench with plates, and ornaments above.
 as we will the situation out the side...)
1/12 scale modern miniature scene of the side of a takeaway including a fridge, a plastic chair and an asian screen.
It's only half-done, and I had many plans to flesh it out tonight but the air is smokey, and I started in a new team today so I'm a bit buggered and will get back to this later (hopefully tomorrow).

(*thrift shopping for those of you in the US, and charity shopping for those in the UK. The rest of the world, you're on your own, but I'm sure you know what I mean!)

4 comments :

catherine said...

Charity shops, in the U.K., are known as "chazzas"!!!!

AMCSviatko said...

I didn't know that! Here we shorten the names of the organisations that run the two main chains:
St Vincent De Paul becomes 'Vinnies'
Salvation Army becomes "Salvos' (although, across the ditch in New Zealand, they're 'Sallies').
Ah, the linguistics of op-shop naming... :-)

Petra1945 said...

In the Netherlands, we go to "de kringloop" or the recycling shop. Very common over here, very popular too, it's a household word. They're everywhere, mostly commercial, some municipal, not charity so much.

AMCSviatko said...

Hi Petra: that's fascinating that they're mostly commercial in the Netherlands. How does that work? Do people still donate their unwanted goods to the shop or do they get paid for them (we have a couple of fashion resale shops here in Canberra that works that way and in Wellington NZ, they have fashion consignment shops where they sell on your behalf...)